Bukit Lawang is located about 90 kilometers northwest of Medan, the capital city of North Sumatra, and at the south of the Mount Leuseur National Park. It is a gateway to the legendary Sumatran jungle with it’s steep slippery terrain and muddy slopes. Exploring the jungle here is a true adventure. Trek through the breathtakingly thick jungle and be transported into to new world.
Bukit Lawang is one of the main access points to the incredible rainforest of Gunung Leuser National Park – a UNESCO World Heritage Site; home to numerous birds, plants and mammal species – most famously the Sumatran orangutan, Sumatran tiger, Sumatran rhinoceros, siamang, Sumatran serow, deer and leopard. Located alongside the banks of Bohorok river, Bukit Lawang offers a relaxed atmosphere with endless jungle trails promising adventure and wildlife encounters.
Jungle trek is the most favorite package that is chosen by tourists. Wake up to the sounds of nature and jungle symphony; melodious bird chirps or the ascending scale of a cuckoo, the hooting calls of white-handed gibbons, and the songs of larger black siamangs in the treetops.
Make your way through the shade of a rainforest canopy involving some steep descent/ascent trails. Observe the flora and fauna including the leaf monkeys, long tailed macaques, tangle of trees, palms, ferns, forest moss and gigantic fig trees as you make your way through the thick jungle with well trodden paths to follow. The sight of orangutan swinging through the trees is surely unforgettable, yet sightings of solitary orangutan will require patience, time and a little bit of luck. Take nothing but photos, leave nothing but footprints.
Return to your lodge on an inflated tube down the river rapids. Check out then enjoy lunch at Erna’s Bamboo Homestay.
- By taking one of our packages, you have participated and donated for our environment and conservation projects in Bahorok District which are hold by our foundation, YPOI.
- 100% of the entrance fee to Gunung Leuser National Park (150,000 Rupiah) go to the PHKA Park Rangers and benefit wildlife conservation and protection.
- Rafting is possible most of the year; however, it might be cancelled if conditions are too rough.
- You will always be accompanied by three or at least two guides from our team to help you and make your adventure as enjoyable and safe for you as possible. Please choose a trek that suits your ability and physical condition.
- If you are travelling alone and want to join other people, we will be happy to organize a group.
- We can also arrange trekking for 1 person; however, prices will be higher.
If you are travelling in a group of more than 2 persons, please contact us for information on trekking prices.